From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GTK:2 EOL and incoming migration to GTK:3
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2021 10:22:31
1 Aisha Tammy wrote:
2 > We are now in the process of cleaning up GTK:2 ebuilds and moving the
3 > packages to use GTK:3 and drop GTK:2 support.
4
5 Quoting the blog post you linked to: (thanks for including the link!)
6
7 "It does mean, however, that GTK 2 has reached the end of its life.
8 We will do one final 2.x release in the coming days, and we encourage
9 everybody to port their GTK 2 applications to GTK 3 or 4."
12 The recommendation in the blog post is for application developers to
13 port to 3 or 4, nothing more and nothing less.
14
15 What's the reasoning for this driving "killing off GTK:2" in Gentoo?
16
17 Are there (presently or foreseeable) technical issues with GTK:2?
20 Many thanks and kind regards
21
22 //Peter