From: Chris Sykes <chris@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Server / security thing
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 11:22:37
1 On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 11:05:40PM +0300, Moilanen Mikko Antero wrote:
2 > Hi
3 >
4 > Would it be good idea to make additional cammand "emerge security" to check and upgrade any security things like now "emerge system" upgrades some standard system things?
5 >
6 > This would definetly be good for people who maintain servers or for people who maintain workstations or this would just be *good* for people.
9 I agree that this would be useful functionality. I think that the best way to
10 implement something like this is _not_ to label security fix ebuilds as such,
11 but to flag the ebuilds that are vunerable.
12
13 e.g. (off the top of my head)
14
15 For each package create a file that lists the ebuild versions that were found
16 to have security issues e.g.
17 /usr/portage/catagory/package/security
18
19 Using a method like this an 'emerge security' could check all installed
20 packages against the versions in the security files and update them if needed.
21
22 All this would mean more work for the poor souls maintaining the portage tree
23 though.
26 Chris Sykes