From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: kde@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] QT with custom CFLAGS attempt failed, abandoning
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 12:48:40
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 For the past two weeks or so I've been using and testing qt-3.1.2-r2, which is
4 the same as r3 (and used to be the same as r1) with the addition of a patch
5 that allows using make.conf's custom $CFLAGS (from a bug whose # I've happily
6 forgotten).
7
8 Well, it seemed to work with kde 3.1x, but with kde cvs head it causes many
9 segfaults on window creation and destruction in just about every kde app
10 (even when compiling kde itself without optimizations). I don't want to spend
11 time on this, and so am abandoning this second attempt to optimize qt (the
12 first one was with qt 3.0.x and made compilation of qt on ppc run out of
13 memory, as well as other nice things). It obviously isn't meant to be done
14 (since we have to manually patch the qmake config file to do it). So I'll
15 close any existing or future bugs about as WONTFIX.
16
17 Anyone else is of course welcome to play with it, but the optimization's
18 benefit would probably be small, since it already uses -O2 by default, and
19 since we spend comparatively little execution time in the libqt code anyway.
20
21 Well, that's it I guess... don't take it as bad news, it was never all that
22 terribly important :-)
25 Dan Armak
26 Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)
27 Matan, Israel