From: Kevyn Shortell <trance@g.o>
To: Steven Elling <ellings@×××××.com>
Cc: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some suggestions
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 22:27:27
1 On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 14:39, Steven Elling wrote:
2 > On Sunday 07 September 2003 10:02, Jan Krueger wrote:
3 > > On Sunday 07 September 2003 12:44, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
4 > > > heh. Choose '2' for etc-update 8)
5 > >
6 > > Normally i do so. But i dont want to press this key!
7 > >
8 > > Please understand: Its not about pressing a key. Its about:
9 > >
10 > > Requiring expensive human interaction when there is no need for it.
11 >
12 > Do that on several boxes and see how you feel about requiring `comment'
13 > updates to a config file or even having to deal with files that shouldn't
14 > need to be updated at all or manually. I've supported 350 and 3000 UNIX
15 > servers. Imagine if they were all Gentoo
16
17 I don't imagine that in a production enviroment of 3000 machines, you
18 would be making such drastic changes often that would require you to run
19 that on 3000 machines. Do you regularly upgrade the Solaris compiler?
20 System Patches? Still requires just as much work. heh.
21
22 If you had to patch 3000 machines, then you'd be better spending your
23 time like most sysadmins do, and figure out a way to automate large
24 scale patch distribution =)
25
26 I'm not trying to minimalize your point, but making a follow up point,
27 You wouldn't use Gentoo in a 3000 system node without expecting some
28 kind of maintainance upgrade being required. That is of course, why
29 sysadmins get paid. =)
30
31 trance