From: Michael Cummings <mcummings@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] ARCH keywording for g-cpan?
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 09:56:37
1 This is geared mostly towards arch devs, but I'm open to any comments :)
2
3 A new version of g-cpan is about a week away. Lot of feature additions,
4 upgrades, code revisions (wouldn't recommend diff'ing the current to the new
5 because I know there's only a few lines in common). It's still 100% perl (in
6 fact, the old version was only 95%, so that's another improvement - no more
7 system calls, ick), and the big reason for even going down the road of a
8 rewrite was to add support for the intended split of dev-perl into new,
9 smaller, manageable(!) categories.
10
11 In the past, g-cpan was lumped in with portage, so it received all of the
12 keyword bliss of portage. When it was initially split from portage it also
13 inherited that keyword batch, since the version in the split and the version
14 in the current portage were identical. But herein lies my dilemma. While 100%
15 perl code means there ~shouldn't~ be any issues on any platform that can
16 install perl, I don't want to tick any arch's off by unmasking en masse.
17 Would you all prefer a bug with recommended tests for the new version? Do you
18 all even care? :) Let me know, on list, off list, just don't call me late at
19 night, it makes the wife wonder.
20
21 Mike
26 Michael Cummings | #gentoo-dev, #gentoo-perl
27 Gentoo Perl Dev | on irc.freenode.net