From: Chris Moore <kurisu@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] FHS compliance
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2002 02:29:01
1 I don't know if this is the right place to post this but whatever...
2 Gentoo is an awesome distrobution and about the only thing that I can
3 point my finger on that I would like to see changed is FHS compliance
4 (well mostly...) For the most part it even meets fhs compliance but
5 here is (and I know this would take some work...) how to fix it.
6
7 Move the portage package ebuild filetree from /usr/portage to
8 /var/lib/portage ( See 5.8.3 +-<pkgtool> and cross reference the
9 purposes of the /usr hierarchy with the purpose of /var which is
10 summarized as follows: /usr's purpose is shareable read-only data
11 (ebuilds are updated!) /var's purpose is sharable/unsharable DYNAMIC
12 application data (such as the ebuild dirtree) and /var/lib has the
13 specific option for the package tool's dynamic data)
14
15 Why would anyone want to do this you ask. Well, standards are only as
16 good as we make them by embracing them... One complaint about *nix is
17 that the filesystem is difficult to navigate leaving you guessing as to
18 where you need to look for something as it can change from computer to
19 computer. This standard tries to remove that confusion.
20
21 Regardless I understand it is a lot of work to move around etc. but I
22 think that it is a good move that makes more sense.
25 Chris Moore
27 Born Again Bourne Again Believer:
28 New Life, GNU/Linux
29 Be Free