From: "Jesús J. Guerrero Botella" <jesus.guerrero.botella@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Please enhance your USE descriptions!
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 09:29:44
1 2011/3/31 Tomáš Chvátal <scarabeus@g.o>:
2 > Well technically yep, but for lets say the ffmpeg the mp3 useflag means
3 > "Enable mp3 encoding support." :)
4 >
5 > If user sets -mp3 it still can play mp3 tracks but in really worse
6 > quality so it is just nice convinience that ffmpeg always allows playing
7 > those files.
8 >
9 > Since i was that kind and disabled internal libmp3 that was first in
10 > order of what would be used simply with -mp3 you will get mplayer
11 > playing mp3 tracks but it is not desirable for you to do so.
12
13 However, if I wanted someone else deciding what's "desirable" for me I
14 wouldn't be using Gentoo, and I wouldn't care about USE flags at all.
15
16 The only important thing here is that the label on top of the big red
17 button doesn't match the purpose of the big red button. The final user
18 doesn't really care if the USE is global or not, and s/he certainly
19 doesn't care as much about the USE flag name as s/he can care about
20 the USE flag purpose.
21
22 On the other side, I remind everyone that there's bugs.gentoo.org
23 which is where everyone should be reporting USE flag bugs instead of
24 wasting the time here. Just like I do when I feel something is not
25 right. Things usually get fixed.The last one that got my attention was
26 the "symlink" flag for mplayer2, I reported it yesterday, now the fix
27 is in the tree.
32 Jesús Guerrero Botella