From: Joe Peterson <lavajoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: stripping out the DO NOT REPLY from bugzie emails
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 16:36:12
1 Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 >> The problem is those replies may contain information of use in fixing the
3 >> bug. If the mail gets null-spaced...
4 >
5 > I don't see your point. If you have a mailserver running on localhost
6 > that accepts mail for /dev/null (i.e. it thinks it is a valid email
7 > address) and discards it without notice, then that's your problem. Most
8 > of the time this is not the case and an immediate reject or a bounce
9 > message is the result.
10
11 Right! The bogus reply-to should either be an invalid address, in which
12 case the sender will realize right away that the mail did not go
13 anywhere, or there could be an autoresponder that tells the sender to
14 use bugzilla's web interface.
15
16 Or... you could keep the return address as-is, but use procmail to not
17 accept mail unless it is from the bugzilla system (otherwise,
18 autorespond as above).
19
20 Any of these would be preferable to the 3 extra lines at the top of
21 every email now that are not only annoying, but only useful to initiate
22 the few who would attempt to reply.
23
24 > I agree warning is fine. However, I think there is a correlation
25 > between people hitting reply to bugzilla mails and people not
26 > reading/paying attention to such messages. I think the annoyance
27 > of having the message does not pay off against the technical limitation
28 > of not being able to reply any more, whereas the latter is very
29 > effective and the first probably not.
30
31 Agreed. There are several technical solutions that are far more
32 effective and less annoying than the banner.
33
34 -Joe
35 --
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list