From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [PMS] Version Naming Clarification
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 20:28:54
1 On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 11:28:26 -0700
2 "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > 4. If the first character was a !, then remember that, strip the !
5 > from S, and repeat from 2.
6 > 5. If you reach this point, you have something that is not valid.
7
8 Sorry, but I completely fail to understand what that's supposed to
9 mean. Where does the ! come from?
10
11 > This means if somebody specified:
12 > sys-fs/ntfs-3g-1.516
13 > The CAT is 'sys-fs'
14 > and the PN is 'ntfs-3g-1.516'
15 > which does not exist.
16
17 Exist and valid are two different things, which is the whole issue
18 here. With the restriction we can validate without checking for
19 existance, without it we'd have to rely on existance to check if
20 something is a valid atom or a valid CPV.
21
22 > I can't see any logical problems with the above. It probably makes
23 > things a lot easier in many places.
24
25 Can't say anything about that before I understand what you tried to
26 say ;)
27
28 Marius
31 Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>