From: "Chad M. Huneycutt" <chad.huneycutt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] perl question
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 10:13:19
1 Terje Kvernes wrote:
2
3 >"Chad M. Huneycutt" <chad.huneycutt@×××.org> writes:
4 >
5 >>Can anyone explain to me why this I can't see $dir inside the unless
6 >>block in the code fragment below?
7 >>
8 >>sub recurse {
9 >> my $dir = shift;
10 >>
11 >> print "dir: $dir\n";
12 >> unless ( defined($exceptions{$dir}) ) {
13 >> print "$dir is not an exception
14 >> }
15 >>}
18 > I expect you've left out a " on the second print statement? :)
21 Yeah, this was a typo in the e-mail only.
26 >>basically, dir is correct in the first print statement, and then
27 >>gone inside the unless block (even if I do a "unless (0)", the
28 >>second print shows $dir as undefined).
31 > it shouldn't. unless you've tied %exception into something that
32 > resets the keys on read.
33 >
34 I don't know why I was seeing this behavior, but I downloaded the
35 program again, and the problem I was seeing here went away.
36
37 The actual problem was that the @#$@#%@# configuration file for my
38 program (the file where $dir gets its value) was in MS-DOS format
39 (newline and carriage return), which was causing some very strange
40 behavior. Kudos to kabau for helping me diagnose it!
41
42 Chad