From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, systemd@g.o, ssuominen@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: patch systemd.eclass to use pkg-config if available
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 21:37:24
1 On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 5:18 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 > All,
3 >
4 > systemd, like udev, stores directory paths in a way that they can be
5 > queried from pkg-config. However, the systemd.eclass currently does not
6 > use this ability.
7 >
8 > The following patch models the systemd eclass after the udev eclass and
9 > leaves the current defaults in place if there is an issue with
10 > pkg-config.
11 >
12 > Any thoughts?
13 >
14 > William
17 What problem are you trying to solve here?
18
19 We already know the values that pkg-config will return, so I fail to
20 see the advantage of calling pkg-config in the eclass.
21
22 If we were to move the /usr/lib/systemd directory between two versions
23 of systemd, then yes, using pkg-config would be helpful. Until/unless
24 such a change occurs, I just don't see the point.