From: Ingo Krabbe <i.krabbe@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] gimp-print + cups problem
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 16:16:48
1 Hi,
2
3 I recently had some problems with the gimp-print-cups package, that
4 discovered a wrong path we go with cups here, and I would like to push a
5 little discussion about that topic, hoping to find some interested ears.
6
7 I have a gentoo-1.4-rc1 installed and tried to get my Lexmark Z53
8 working in a German environment, which means that I use DIN A4 paper.
9
10 On my last gentoo (1.2) I had a lprng installed which I configured via
11 hard printcap entries to use the native lexmark drivers. As I was ready
12 with cups installation and configured my printer know I detected a
13 preconfigured Lexmark Z53 driver from gimp-print (which was accidently
14 installed by some dependency).
15
16 Printing with that I found that I couldn't change the papersize to A4,
17 though they are A4 descriptions in the PPD file.
18
19 A short talk on gimp-print-devel revealed that the problem should be
20 gone with gimp-print-4.2.4-rc1, which is the last (official) archive of
21 gimp-print.
22
23 This really solved the problem, but I liked to understand that deeper,
24 since I like to understand lower CUPS configurations so I might bind the
25 official lexmark driver to cups someday.
26
27 Updating my installation to gimp-print-cups, that is based on a (so
28 called) gimp-print-4.3.0 archive broke the Paperchanging ability again.
29
30 So lets start discussion:
31
32 1. Where is gimp-print-4.3.0 from since the gimp-print home page
33 doesn't seem to know from this super new package ?
34
35 2. It is quite sad that after the death of lpr/lpd with
36 printcap, wich died because of configuration problems the new
37 printing standard cups seems to go in the same direction of
38 unconfigurability. I would like to clean up the CUPS/PPD
39 system, but I cannot do so with some wizardry help.
40
41 Thanks for your audience, in hope for some smart dialogs.
42
43 BYE INGO
47 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list