From: Emiel Kollof <coolvibe@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo kernel and XFS
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 21:40:19
1 Hi list,
2
3 I've been running Gentoo 1.2 for some time now, and it's pretty nifty, but I
4 have a nit to pick.
5
6 I use XFS. The Gentoo kernel has the preemptible kernel patch. Somehow, those
7 two don't play nice together. It seems that the xfs code throws away stuff
8 they lock a bit carelessly, and it's wreaking havoc with the preempt-kernel
9 patch.
10
11 Note that there is no stability and/or data loss, but the preempt patch
12 cannot preempt because of this, and other than not doing preemption, it's
13 filling up my logs with silly messages. I can patch the kernel not to show
14 the crappy messages, but that would defeat the purpose of having a
15 preemptible kernel, because it cannot preempt anything anyway.
16
17 I know this is being worked on, and the newest CVS version of the XFS drivers
18 have solved this problem. The XFS developers that the CVS version is very
19 stable, so I'm asking if it's possible to put the cvs version of the xfs
20 stuff in the gentoo-enhanced kernel.
21
22 If this is not possible, well, I'd like to know what patches are incorporated
23 into this kernel so I can apply it my damn self :)
24
25 Cheers,
26 Emiel