From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] LibreSSL import plan
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 21:41:32
1 Hi,
2
3 On Wed, 30 Sep 2015 15:58:34 -0400 Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 3:29 PM, Anthony G. Basile <blueness@g.o> wrote:
5 > > @rich0. Just a side comment. You said somewhere that maybe apache will
6 > > choose openssl and postfix libressl and then we'll be in trouble. No. The
7 > > incompatibility is at the abi not api level. So, for example, some struct
8 > > size might be different between the two because of internal implementation
9 > > details, but both should provide a definition of the same struct in their
10 > > header with the same members. ie. apache should compile against either
11 > > openssl or libressl and work, you just can't swap out your libssl without
12 > > recompiling apache which you could do if you had full api compat.
13 >
14 > I agree with this as long as both projects maintain API compatibility.
15 > Whether that happens remains to be seen. If openssl adds a new
16 > feature and libressl decides that is a "bad feature" or libressl adds
17 > a new feature and openssl doesn't have the manpower to keep up, or
18 > whatever, then we'll start seeing things break, and then everybody
19 > gets to pick sides.
20
21 They are already not API compatible:
22
23 1. LibreSSL added new features and interfaces:
24 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreSSL#Added_features
25
26 2. Some old features are removed:
27 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreSSL#Added_features
28 Most notably SSLv3 and MD5 support cancelled, while they are
29 indeed not secure, some apps are likely still depend on them.
30
31 So it is only matter of time
32
33 Best regards,