From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: mgorny@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Moving UID/GID assignments to api.gentoo.org
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2019 20:49:26
1 On Tue, Aug 06, 2019 at 11:29:50PM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Some time ago William asked me to move UID/GID assignments from wiki [1]
5 > to something more accessible. I've finally gotten around to draft
6 > something, and I'd like to hear your comments about it. The idea is to
7 > keep a whitespace-separated record format file in api.gentoo.org repo.
8 >
9 > This is mostly inspired by Fedora's format, specifically the ability to
10 > specify both UID and GID for matching user/group on the same line.
11 > I've also decided not to attempt to specify disjoint Linux and FreeBSD
12 > users/groups on a single line. Instead, they are specified separately
13 > and defined by providers (as suggested by Ulrich).
14 >
15 > Sample, along with big comment explaining the file format, below.
16
17 I'm not sure how I feel about whitespace delimiters for this. withno
18 further specification, it would make these two lines completely valid:
19
20 root 0 0 baselayout
21 bin 1 1 baselayout some notes here
22
23 I propose using a colon like we do in /etc/passwd:
24
25 root:0:0:baselayout:
26 bin:1:1:baselayout:some notes go here
27
28 Thoughts?
29
30 William