From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage newbie needs help -- Please ignore the other one
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 20:55:08
1 On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 07:39:12PM -0700, Dominic Leland wrote:
2
3 > Even though portage seemed to merge fine, it would always fail whenever I
4 > would go into any other directory and try to do an "ebuild
5 > package-x.y.z.ebuild merge." I kept getting a "package already installed -
6 > unmerge first" error (even on things I knew weren't installed like
7 > Gnome-1.4).
8 >
9 > The document's next step, assuming ebuilding worked, was to unmerge the
10 > existing file, but since I had just started my /var/db/pkg tree, I wouldn't
11 > have entries for anything I was upgrading.
12
13 Portage *does* require that the ebuild you are attempting to merge is located
14 in a category directory. So, doing an "ebuild /tmp/foo-1.0.ebuild merge" won't
15 work, but "ebuild /tmp/sys-apps/foo-1.0.ebuild merge" should.
16
17 As for the "package already installed" error, I'm not sure what's causing this.
18 You can always forcefully remove the appropriate db entry by typing:
19
20 # rm -rf /var/db/pkg/[cat]/[pkg] (replace [cat] and [pkg] with category and pkgname)
21
22 However, this "package already installed" error is *not* a Portage 1.5 error.
23 So maybe you have an old version of ebuild hanging around and causing problems.
24 After merging Portage-1.5, do an "rm /usr/bin/ebuild" (it now lives in
25 /usr/sbin).
26
27 Sorry about all the problems. For what it's worth, with Portage 1.5, Portage
28 is quite stable and is working well for Achim and myself. Whenever we find
29 bugs in Portage, I normally get them fixed within a few minutes of their
30 discovery -- worst case, I get to them within a day. These days, I'm focusing
31 on minor ones rather than biggies like you're experiencing. Hopefully, we can
32 get Gentoo Linux 1.0_rc5 on ibiblio before more people start experiencing problems
33 with the now-outdated 1.0_rc4_pre2 -- the transition from 1.0_rc4_pre2 to our
34 "current" version on CVS is quite difficult due to major changes in Portage.
35
36 Best Regards,
39 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
40 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org