From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Docker 1.0.0 masked for no known reason?
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 14:05:04
1 On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 8:36 AM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
2 > This is still too vague for me. If it's expected to be short-term, then
3 > it can as well just land in ~arch.
4
5 A package that hasn't been tested AT ALL doesn't belong in ~arch.
6 Suppose the maintainer is unable to test some aspect of the package,
7 or any aspect of the package? Do we want it to break completely for
8 ~arch? In that event, nobody will run ~arch for that package, and
9 then it still isn't getting tested.
10
11 I agree that masking for testing is like having a 3rd branch, but I'm
12 not convinced that this is a bad thing. ~arch should be for packages
13 that have received rudimentary testing and which are ready for testing
14 by a larger population. Masking should be used for packages that
15 haven't received rudimentary testing - they might not have been tested
16 at all.
17
18 Sure, it could go into an overlay, but for that matter so could all of ~arch.
19
20 I guess the question is, what exactly are we trying to fix? Even if
21 occasionally a maintainer drops the ball and leaves something masked
22 for a year, how is that different from a maintainer dropping the ball
23 and not adding a new release to the main tree for a year? Would we be
24 better off if Docker 1 wasn't in the tree at all? If it happened to
25 have a known issue would ~arch users be better off if some other dev
26 came along and helpfully added it to the tree unmasked no realizing
27 that somebody else was already working on it?
28
29 Rich