From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Guidelines for IUSE defaults
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2017 15:48:12
1 >>>>> On Tue, 7 Feb 2017, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
2
3 > On 07/02/17 08:27 AM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
4 >>
5 >> The thread wasn't about discouraging IUSE defaults, rather to
6 >> decide when they are appropriate. You cannot omit "pkginternal"
7 >> from USE_ORDER, because you will break all of the packages whose
8 >> defaults are either critical to the package, or prevent a
9 >> REQUIRED_USE conflict.
10
11 "The package manager may use it as a suggestion" seems pretty clear.
12 PMS doesn't require that a package manager honours these defaults.
13 So if anything is broken after removing them from USE_ORDER, then it
14 was already broken before.
15
16 Conversely, I don't see why package maintainers shouldn't use IUSE
17 defaults to enable (or disable, though that is rarely used) those
18 flags that they deem the package's best default configuration.
19
20 > OK, can we all decide out of this thread, that if any package is
21 > enabling critical functionality via IUSE-defaults (or rather, IUSE
22 > defaults alone), that this be addressed through package.use.force in
23 > profiles OR through removal of the flag?
24
25 Right. Also REQUIRED_USE should be used sparingly, and only for
26 libraries whose reverse USE dependencies would otherwise break.
27 In all other cases, fall back to a reasonable default if flag settings
28 are incompatible.
29
30 Ulrich