From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 42 "Critical News Reporting" Round Two
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 21:37:19
1 On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 21:10 +0100, Grobian wrote:
2 > Users don't care about security[1], adminstrators do.
3 > Administrators don't care about breaking installations[2], users do.
4
5 That's the problem with sweeping generalisations .... they're just too
6 general to be of any value in a discussion.
7
8 > while I claim it 1) doesn't
9 > work because the information is hard to find and 2) it will work for a
10 > certain group of people very well if the information would be there.
11
12 I agree with 1) ... in fact, it's mentioned in the blog entry that
13 kicked all of this off.
14
15 But your second claim ...
16
17 I personally don't care about trying target and satisfy a "certain group
18 of people". I really don't. I'm after 100% of the userbase. Nothing
19 less is fit for purpose. I'm not interested in small fractionals in
20 this case. And especially not *only* small fractionals.
21
22 You don't seem to share this aim. To me, you're coming across as
23 wanting the news delivered to your exact personal preferences only, with
24 no regard for the wider issue or what may be best for the Gentoo project
25 and especially our userbase as a whole.
26
27 My personal conclusion was that there is only one place where we can
28 have any degree of certainty that we have the attention of 100% of the
29 userbase - or as near as damn it. I believe that place is right beneath
30 the message that tells the user they have CONFIG_PROTECTED files that
31 need updating.
32
33 Hence emerge --news.
34
35 If you have found *one* place where we are even more likely to have the
36 attention of 100% of the userbase, please share it with us. If there's
37 a better place, we should use that instead, and I will very happily
38 support it.
39
40 If we can put something together that takes the news available through
41 emerge --news, and pushes it out via other places (web, mailing lists,
42 whatever), I have no real problem with that.
43
44 But I think that there is a very good reason why it needs to come later,
45 why now is *not* the time.
46
47 We need to establish *one* authoritative source of news. We can't do
48 that if we simultaneously launch several sources of news all at once.
49 We have to launch *one* service first, give the userbase time to adjust
50 to that, and then start making the news available via additional
51 sources.
52
53 > Don't worry I'll shut up now as there is clearly no interest for a bit
54 > broader thinking.
55
56 I find your thinking anything but broad on this topic.
57
58 Best regards,
59 Stu
60 --
61 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
62 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
63 http://stu.gnqs.org/diary/
64
65 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
66 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C