From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] cosmetic texinfo error
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 12:17:37
1 On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 09:53:18AM -0500, Grant Goodyear wrote:
2
3 > Why has texinfo been incorporated into gcc? It appears that gcc3+
4 > now goes out of its way not to clobber an already existing texinfo,
5 > so I would think we would want to keep a separate texinfo package.
6
7 The simple reason is this. Texinfo is merged into the gcc ebuild because
8 gcc needs texinfo, and texinfo needs gcc. It's simpler to compile them
9 as part of a single build process. The error people are seeing will go
10 away as soon as a release a new Portage version. The problem is that
11 Portage is not expecting sys-apps/texinfo to be a virtual package.
12
13 Best Regards,
16 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
17 Chief Architect/President http://www.gentoo.org