From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] crap use flags in the profiles
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 12:56:45
1 On Mon, 2005-08-29 at 17:34 -0500, Brian Harring wrote:
2 > Basically stating that if I want the minimal 2005.1 x86 profile to
3 > build my own server profile off of, I can't really use the existing
4 > default-linux/x86/2005.1 ;
5
6 Ehh... There *is* no minimal 2005.1 profile. That has always been the
7 point. The "2005.1" profile is "what we used for 2005.1" not "minimal
8 set of bull that can build a machine on x86 that just happens to
9 coincide with the 2005.1 release". If you want a "minimal" profile,
10 make one.
11
12 > Why? Mainly due to the fact that I would be forced to reverse a *lot*
13 > of stuff, use flags mainly, to get it back down to a minimal profile.
14 > That's what I mean by lack of customization; it can be done, but it's
15 > not optimal, vs say inheriting a base default/x86/2005.1 that holds
16 > just system defaults (pam, cflags, etc).
17
18 USE flags *only*, actually.
19
20 Also, we haven't been building the profiles to be "optimal" for
21 customization. We have been building them to "just work" for the most
22 people.
23
24 > If I were to implement a server profile from existing, I'd probably
25 > tag in -* to the use, and add the use flags I explicitly want; that's
26 > not really the best way to use the profiles inheritance capabilities
27 > though :)
28
29 I'll agree with you here. Like I said, the x86 profile stuff, since *at
30 least* 2004.0's and the beginning of cascades, has had all of this
31 "cruft" in there already.
32
33 Of course, I also don't think that a server profile should inherit from
34 the current default-linux sub-profiles anyway, as they are more geared
35 towards end-user machines, and instead should inherit from default-linux
36 (possibly, maybe even just base) themselves and build up a very specific
37 configuration for servers. Basically, you're saying that a whole ton of
38 crap should be under default-linux, where I think nothing should really
39 be under there except for the "default" profiles, and other profiles
40 should have their own top-level, just like hardened or uclibc does.
41
42 > > > Profile customization occurs, /etc/portage/profiles exists for this
43 > > > reason; the 2005.1 profile (fex) is probably *rarely* ran exactly as
44 > > > y'all have it specified considering we do have user level use flags,
45 > > > tweaking the hell out of '05.1.
46 > >
47 > > You would be surprised at the number of people that use GRP and rarely,
48 > > if ever, change their USE flags. I wish I had numbers, but I don't.
49 > >
50 > > Anyway, the default set of USE flags seems to be a pretty perfect mix
51 > > for most people. It gives packages that work as expected, and is geared
52 > > toward a desktop system. Without any more specific examples of what
53 > > you're trying to point out, I'm just not seeing it.
54 > Key thing to note, neither of us have figures :)
55 > Beyond that, I'm not after castrating the defaults that exist, I'm
56 > after sticking a level of indirection, a subprofile into the releng
57 > profile inheritance chain so that if I *want* a minimal profile (as
58 > you use), I can get it without having to resort to -* and tracking all
59 > of the changes myself.
60
61 I have no problem with that. Check out profiles/default-linux/x86/dev
62 and see if it would meet your needs. It does *not* inherit from x86,
63 but from default-linux, so it is geared to be an "x86" replacement.
64 This would keep everything else in the sub-profiles, such as 2005.1,
65 etc.
66
67 Basically, if you wanted a server profile, you'd inherit from
68 profiles/default-linux/x86, not profiles/default-linux/x86/2005.1, since
69 the 2005.1 profile would have all the desktop stuff.
70
71 > It's a time saving effort; add multiple inheritance in, and it's easy
72 > to do (win/win).
73
74 Agreed. With multiple inheritance, we all win, but see if this at least
75 helps for now. I have no problem right now making the changes necessary
76 (to x86, at least) to make the base arch profile "minimal" for you.
77
78 > > > Aside from mild disagreement on views, as was stated in previous
79 > > > emails, multiple inheritance I tend to think is required to minimize
80 > > > the work for y'all; what I want you guys to do (or I'll do myself) is
81 > > > chunk the suckers up so people after a minimal base for running
82 > > > it themselves, or building up their own subprofile can do so. Not
83 > > > after jamming maintenance nightmares on you, which without multiple
84 > > > inheritance, might be a bit.
85 > >
86 > > I know that I won't be spending *my* time making any profile other than
87 > > the defaults used for building the release. Anyone is welcome to build
88 > > profiles for anything else that they might want, but since the release
89 > > team doesn't use it, we shouldn't be forced to waste our time on it.
90 >
91 > Agreed, although I'd posit that when/if multiple inheritance is added,
92 > y'all take advantage of it (break up the settings into base and
93 > desktop) so that others can use your base work instead of reinventing
94 > the wheel.
95
96 That would be fine by me.
99 Chris Gianelloni