From: Brent Cook <busterb@×××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] boot says I didn't compile DEVFS support
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 16:49:18
1 I must have missed it too. I installed reading the text file docs, and the
2 Experimental section just didn't jump out, I suppose. Perhaps, since
3 gentoo uses a custom kernel anyway, a default .config file could also be
4 installed that would build a kernel with the minimum options already
5 selected?
6
7 While I agree that I should have caught this the first time too, why not
8 make things a little more convenient, esp. if certain options are
9 required?
10
11 > Well, it's in yellow if you're reading it online. I
12 > printed it out all in b&w, so...
13 >
14 > I see it now. I don't think it needs any more detail
15 > per se, but maybe you could describe it using words
16 > specific to menuconfig - for example:
17 >
18 > 'In order for you to see some of the options you'll
19 > need to compile into your kernel, the first thing
20 > you'll need to do in menuconfig is go to the "code
21 > level maturity" section and enable the option <exact
22 > name of option here>'
23 >
24 > Something like that should probably appear before you
25 > even mention what they need to enable.
26 >
27 > :)
28 >
29 > Just a suggestion. Bottom line is it was a dumb
30 > mistake on my part, but I don't think I would've made
31 > it if that was in there.
32 >
33 > PS - overall, the docs here are wonderful.
34 > /njcajun