From: Ionen Wolkens <ionen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Deprecating virtual/opengl in favor of media-libs/libglvnd
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 14:20:14
1 On Wed, Jan 18, 2023 at 05:37:03AM -0800, orbea wrote:
2 > I think this is a mistake, libglvnd has a documented performance hit
3 > and should be optional.
4
5 Optional glvnd was a complete mess and this isn't happening.
6
7 Also, performance impact is only relevant if cpu-bound which is rather
8 rare for normal games and applications (aka, not stuff like glxgears).
9 "some" emulators can be more cpu-bound, but a lot of the bigger ones
10 support vulkan anyway nowadays.
11
12 Yes, there are cases where it'd be better but we're way too far from
13 it being worth the maintenance cost and confusion. Recently seen people
14 run into issues with libEGL when forcing -Dglvnd=false too, more things
15 to worry about.
18 > https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/glvnd/libglvnd/-/issues/222
19 >
20 > On Wed, 18 Jan 2023 14:23:22 +0200