From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: FHS or not (WAS: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2014-03-11)
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2014 18:19:46
1 On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 1:31 PM, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > gconf, dconf, polkit, dbus, all do stuff like this. I actually find the
4 > solution somewhat elegant from my side as a sysadmin.
7 I think the "right approach" depends on the degree to which the file
8 requires tweaking.
9
10 For 99% of users, udev requires no touching at all (though the
11 persistent network names drive me nuts so I touch it anyway). If you
12 do touch it most likely you're just adding one rule, or overriding a
13 rule or two. That makes the approach it uses of defaults and
14 overrides really nice, because you don't have a ton of cruft to merge
15 in /etc - the only code that is present is the stuff that matters.
16
17 For 99% of users, xorg.conf needs little touching at all (which is a
18 VERY welcome change from how it used to be). My xorg.conf.d contains
19 one file with 6 lines in it. So, the new approach makes sense.
20
21 My postfix config contains a large number of overrides, as do most.
22 Postfix really needs a moderate bit of setup in terms of setting
23 domains, policies, and so on. Most people have anti-spam or
24 greylisting or such enabled, or they relay through an outside smtp
25 server, and so on. Plug-and-play configs are unusual for a mail
26 server. That tends to make the big file in /etc with lots of changes
27 more useful - it gives you a template to edit, and if upstream changes
28 something you want to see what it is so that you can decide how to
29 best merge in your tweaks.
30
31 So, the traditional approach works best for config files that need a
32 lot of editing which don't lend themselves to modularization. I find
33 the new approach works better for situations where the files are very
34 modular (that is, in practice you can change just one setting and not
35 have to look at others), and when changes are the exception rather
36 than the rule (which means that you're only managing exceptions).
37
38 Personally, I'm glad my udev rules directory is now nearly empty.
39 Previously it was just a situation where orphan rules caused trouble,
40 updates required care, and so on. Now the only things that can
41 possibly cause trouble are my disabling of the persistent network
42 names, and a few rules that add symlinks for some pl2303s so that I
43 can refer to them with consistent names (which I don't actually need
44 any longer anyway now that I use a cablecard tuner).
45
46 Rich