From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Speaking of new kernels being added to the tree
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 17:58:42
1 On 10/04/03 Luke-Jr wrote:
2
3 > > > IMO, categories are merely useful for when searching for packages
4 > > > and shouldn't really be needed for knowing what a package is
5 > > > especially since two packages cannot have the same name.
6 > > Is that true? I thought the category was part of the package name.
7 > If it were part of the package name, why aren't the database firebird
8 > and the browser firebird allowed to have the same name?
9
10 They can have the same name for portage, but this should be avoided as
11 it is not transparent for users if they type "emerge firebird" which one
12 will be chosen.
13
14 > > > AFAIK, this already should work. Note I don't use -u nor the world
15 > > > metakeyword (at least until Portage supports sticky USE), though.
16 > > But have you personally tested it, or can you point me to somewhere
17 > > where this behaviour is documented? I don't like assumptions.
18 > Just because I think it is possible to do doesn't mean I know how to
19 > do it ;) For example, I know it's possible to make a Java ebuild, but
20 > I don't know where to start for that.
21
22 How about the java and java-pkg eclasses?
23 The renaming of ebuilds is possible but requires manual work and still
24 creates some problems, so I recommend against it unless it's necessary.
25 The -src suffix for package names to select cource code installs would
26 require a major change to the package-name parsing code.
27
28 Personally I don't see any benefit from your proposal other that it will
29 require a lot of work, confuse users and create a lot of other problems
30 not thought of yet.
31
32 Marius
37 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
38 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.