From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 42 "Critical News Reporting" Round Two
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 21:00:13
1 On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 18:40:53 +0100 Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | I've already asked a similar question in another mail (in other
4 | context) without an answer, but how many news items do people believe
5 | will exist at any given time? Depending on the actual implementation
6 | it might be required to scan all existing news items which could take
7 | some time if there is a large number of them (say, more than a few
8 | hundred) It's clear that noone can present accurate numbers, just
9 | after some rough estimates here.
10
11 I don't expect it to be of the order of a few hundred. AFAIK there
12 aren't huge numbers of nasty upgrades...
13
14 | Also it might be useful for this filtering to be an external tool
15 | using portage functions and called by portage (see also below).
16 | Although this could be considered an implementation detail as it's
17 | mostly transparent for ebuild devs/users.
18
19 Yeah, I have a script which does it already. It's just rather slow
20 because of portageq. It'll be in the next draft.
21
22 | - local storage of news items / "read" attribute:
23 | I don't really the like the copy-if-new feature and handling at the
24 | fs level, I'd use a file that lists the ids of news items (potentially
25 | with a timestamp and/or status field). I don't see any benefits of
26 | having redundancy here, and accessing the news in $PORTDIR is simple
27 | enough. Granted race conditions might be an issue (where the solution
28 | complicates tools), but that's so minor I wouldn't really care about
29 | it.
30
31 I'll have to think about that one... ID lists should be easy from an
32 implementation perspective...
33
34 | Another thing that's unclear: "Whenever relevant unread news items are
35 | found, emerge will copy or symlink the news file into
36 | /var/lib/gentoo/news/."
37 | This "Whenever ... are found" is too vague, should this apply to
38 | emerge --sync, any emerge operation, any "import portage" call or
39 | what? This isn't just an implementation detail.
40
41 I'd say after emerge --sync, plus after an emerge --pretend and before
42 an emerge blah. Will there be hooks for these?
43
44 | PS: I'd avoid symlinks here at all costs, too easy to break them.
45
46 Probably true, especially if portdir changes...
47
48 | Also as Brian and Jason have said already, the system should be able
49 | to handle multiple repositories. So to use the current GLEP as
50 | example, at least the path should be changed
51 | to /var/lib/gentoo/news/porttree
52
53 Pfff, if that ever happens it's just a case of adding in another
54 directory level. As it stands though, there's no multiple repo support
55 in portage and no way to uniquely identify a repo, so I see no point in
56 going out of the way to handle something which may or may not ever
57 happen.
60 | - quality control:
61 | "Any complaints regarding wording or clarity must be addressed before
62 | the news item goes live." Playing devils advocate here, but complaints
63 | regarding correctness are not mandatory to be adressed?
64
65 Mmm, guess I should change that to "Any complaints (including, without
66 prejudice to the aforesaid generality, those of wording, clarity or
67 correctness) must ...".
68
69 | As for using -core, please add a small explanation or at least a
70 | reference to the appropriate policy docs
71
72 I've moved the -core stuff to a .. Note:: for the next draft.
73
74 | Things that should definitely be changed:
75 | - Integration with existing systems:
76 | This definitely should be a requirement for the GLEP to be considered
77 | final. It doesn't prevent some thing being implemented sooner than
78 | others, but multi-channel distribution (to use a buzzword) is a
79 | requirement from where I come from.
80
81 I'd really rather that news.gentoo.org / news2announceemail / whatever
82 were handled via separate GLEPs. 42 is fairly long as it is...
85 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Look! Shiny things!)
86 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
87 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm