From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] developing a separate repo spec
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 08:19:13
1 >>>>> On Mon, 29 Mar 2021, Tim Harder wrote:
2
3 > One reason is EAPI development often moves relatively slowly and many
4 > potential repo spec features are probably simple enough to
5 > discuss/implement at a quicker pace, at least initially.
6
7 "Relatively slowly" is an understatement when it comes to repository
8 features. :) It is glacial for such changes, because we have to wait
9 for at least one year, in order not to break the upgrade path.
10
11 https://projects.gentoo.org/pms/7/pms.html#x1-320004.4 says:
12 "... a package manager must not attempt to use any repository whose
13 profiles directory requires an EAPI it does not support."
14
15 So yes, maybe we should have a separate spec for forward-compatible
16 repository features that are independent of EAPI. But I think that
17 incompatible changes won't be possible there and would have to reamin
18 in PMS. (For example, updating of package dependencies in profiles from
19 EAPI 0 to EAPI 5 was not forward compatible and required the one year
20 waiting period.)
21
22 Ulrich