From: Pete Gavin <pete@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new guides
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 01:40:17
1 On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 04:13:17PM -0600, Pete Gavin wrote:
2 > I'm a pretty decent c++ hacker, I could probably help w/ this, but
3 > I'll need to look at the python extension docs. I also thought it
4 > would be really cool to make a portage manager for X using the python
5 > gtk+ bindings. I think it would be best to use python for this, since
6 > pretty much everything that it would need to do is already written, it
7 > only needs the interface to be written. It would also be alot simpler
8 > than writing it in C and imbedding python :)
9
10 I've been looking at SWIG a bit, and I think it would be really
11 helpful for this stuff. That way, we might eventually be able to make
12 it so that most portage stuff is also available from perl, and anyone
13 who wants to access portage from perl may do so easily. (I know some
14 of you may cringe at this, but I happen to like perl :) but don't
15 worry, I like python equally... both have their uses)
16
17 Pete