From: Raymond Lewis Rebbeck <dystopianray@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: USB disks - idea/question
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 23:48:58
1 On Saturday, 23 December 2006 10:08, Sven Köhler wrote:
2 > Raymond Lewis Rebbeck schrieb:
3 > > On Saturday, 23 December 2006 2:40, Sven Köhler wrote:
4 > >> Hi,
5 > >>
6 > >> so as you plugin a USB-disk, the kernel will recognize it, and it will
7 > >> be called sda, sdb, sdc or whatever ...
8 > >>
9 > >> I don't like that - why doesn't it get some more usefull device-name?
10 > >> Some device name, that
11 > >> a) indicates, that it is usb (for example put them to /dev/usb) and
12 > >> b) uses a numering not depending on how many harddisk there are in the
13 > >> system
14 > >>
15 > >> So for example /dev/usb/uda could be a symlink to /dev/sdb,
16 > >> /dev/usb/uda1 a symlink to /dev/sdb1 etc.
17 > >> (In this case, sda would be a normal harddisk, which is the reason why
18 > >> the usb-device is sdb)
19 > >>
20 > >>
21 > >> So i don't know any other distribution doing it like that. So what do
22 > >> you think?
23 > >> - is it possible?
24 > >> - is it a good idea?
25 > >> - is it such a good idea, so that gentoo becomes the first distribution
26 > >> doing it?
27 > >> - is it a bad idea to differ from all the other distros out there?
28 > >>
29 > >>
30 > >> Thanks,
31 > >> Sven
32 > >
33 > > Take a look at the contents of /dev/disk/ or if you don't like that, read
34 > > up on writing your own udev rules and you can give devices whatever
35 > > device node you want.
36 >
37 > /dev/disk is tooo fine grained.
38 >
39 > Imagine, i would be an administrator of lots of Linux-PCs in an
40 > unversity. What do i know about the label, uuid, path or id of the
41 > usb-stick that the user plugs into an arbitrary USB-plug of the computer?
42 >
43 > Well, not enough to use /dev/disk actually:
44 >
45 > i don't know the label
46 > i don't know the exact path
47 > i don't know the id
48 > and i guess i also don't know the uuid.
49 >
50 > So if i wanted to create a mountpoint for the first three usb mass
51 > storage devices (asuming, they only have one partition, as usual), i
52 > wouldn't be abled to do it.
55 > I will write my own udev-rules then - that's alright for me.
58 > Thanks for the hints/suggestions to all who answered!
61 > Greetings,
62 > Sven
63
64 If you're using KDE or Gnome use dbus and hal to allow users to mount
65 removeable drives without fstab entries or if you're not using KDE or Gnome
66 you can use pmount to the same effect. These will allow users to mount any
67 removeable drives they insert into the computer without anyone having to care
68 what device node the device is using.
71 Raymond Lewis Rebbeck
74 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list