From: Francesco Riosa <francesco@×××××××××.it>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 29 (USE Flag Grouping) Updates
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 21:39:21
1 The GLEP specify that:
2
3 --snip--
4 Additional Issues
5 -----------------
6
7 Groups should *not* generally contain negative USE flags, as this would
8 lead to confusion. Groups are intended to specify what will be enabled for
9 a given role, not what will be turned off. For example, if the @KDE group
10 disabled Gnome-related USE flags, and a user used ``USE="@GNOME @KDE"`` to
11 specify that they wanted both Gnome *and* KDE to be used where applicable,
12 chaos would ensue. However, for the sake of consistency, -flags should be
13 supported even if their use is strongly discouraged.
14
15 It is proposed that ``-@GROUP`` syntax should *not* be supported. Instead,
16 users wishing to turn most things off could use the ``-*`` USE syntax
17 along with a group (for example, @RECOMMENDED or @MINIMAL) which turned on
18 flags (for example, pam and readline) which should usually be used.
19 --/snip--
20
21 my two cents are to *allow* negative USE flags and parse them
22 *before* the additive ones.
23
24 This way we parse the USE variable twice.
25 - one to chose the negative flags and expanding negative group.
26 - then we parse it again adding all positives (that nullify negative ones)
27
28 example
29
30 ::