From: Doug Klima <cardoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE flag documentation
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 16:17:20
1 Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 19:54:04 -0500
3 > Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Let me know if you like any of those ideas, or if they all suck (and if
6 >> they do, you better tell me why). I'm not sure which is the best way
7 >> forward, which is why I want everyone to contribute towards the best
8 >> solution moving forward. I really don't want to be stuck with something
9 >> that is going to end up being a pain a year down the road.
10 >
11 > What benefit does use.xml have over use.desc?
12 >
13 > My opinion is that we should use use.desc for a complete list of use
14 > flags, including a generic description, allow a more verbose
15 > description in metadata.xml and get rid of the stupid separation of
16 > "local" and "global" flags. No need to change the format of use.desc
17 > though.
18
19 I completely agree with this. This allows each individual package to
20 provide more insight to what a USE flag does.
21
22 > The only benefit use.local.desc gives us is a fast way to list packages
23 > using some flags, but that's unreliable at best. If needed such a list
24 > could be autogenerated.
25 >
26 > Marius
30 Doug Klima <cardoe@g.o>