From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Security/QA Spring Cleaning
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 05:35:50
1 No need to cc, I'm on the ml (realize the norm is to cc, but no point
2 in spamming me twice ;)
3
4 On Sun, May 21, 2006 at 10:25:12PM -0700, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
5 > On Sun, May 21, 2006 at 11:02:22PM -0400, Ned Ludd wrote:
6 > > ferringb took the time to write a parser and setup a cronjob
7 > > (every 4 hours at the half hour) to parse over our GLSA's and see what
8 > > pkgs remain in the tree and have nothing but newer versions stable. I
9 > [snip]
10 >
11 > Just because old versions exist, doesn't strictly mean that they are
12 > safe to remove - some of them may be in the tree because other packages
13 > block the newer versions.
14
15 Given, but vulnerable pkgs should be on the way out of the tree- this
16 is strictly matching of what's vulnerable.
17
18 Not dug into the revdeps, but wouldn't be surprised if at least 25% of
19 what's being matched by the vulnerability queries is just cruft that
20 never got removed.
21
22 ~harring