From: Catalin Zamfir Alexandru <catalin.zamfir@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposed addition to the Social Contract
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 10:18:08
1 On Sunday 25 March 2007 21:46, Christel Dahlskjaer wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2007-03-25 at 16:47 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > On Saturday 24 March 2007, Christel Dahlskjaer wrote:
4 > > > It looks like our social contract doesn't prohibit Gentoo from being
5 > > > dependent upon a single sponsor or corporation. In the interests of
6 > > > keeping Gentoo run by the developers rather than any outside party, how
7 > > > about the following addition to the Social Contract?
8 > > >
9 > > > <heading>We will be run by the Development Community</>
10 > > > Gentoo will be run by the development community. We will never allow
11 > > > ourselves to be reliant upon a single sponsor or corporation.
12 > >
13 > > i think this whole idea is a moot point anyways ... go visit the Gentoo
14 > > Foundation web site and see Chapter 2 Section 5
15 >
16 > And how exactly does this help us in the event of say the OSL burning
17 > down or the GNi suffering flooding? :)
18 >
19 > My point was simply that I think we would be wise to research whether
20 > there is the possibility of spreading our critical infrastructure a bit
21 > better so that in the event of an Act of God or suchlike we wouldn't
22 > find ourselves losing everything to, say, water damage.
23 >
24 > I agree, adding a line to the social contract won't magically send our
25 > servers across the world and into the homes^Wdatacenters of hundreds of
26 > wonderful new sponsors. Would be nice if it did though!
27
28 For anyone, I can host a mirror for gentoo.org. Just contact me.