From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo developers <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] 1/2 OT: splitting packages
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 21:25:11
1 Hi folks,
4 I know this issue is not actually in the scope of this list, but
5 maybe some of you might be interested:
6
7 Lots of packages have optional parts which (IMHO) should/could be
8 their own packages, ie. GUI frontends to console tools (aumix) or
9 several language bindings of certain libs/toolkits.
10
11 Those things tend to produce circular dependencies, which can
12 only be solved with tricks like multiple builds, special useflags
13 like "build" or "bootstrap".
14
15 For example berkeley db: it written in C and has additional
16 bindings for C++ and Java. This produces two kind of problems:
17
18 a) for the base system we must take care that it's built w/o them.
19 b) if some package needs an special binding, dependencies get tricky
20 (AFAIK portage cannot solve feature deps yet)
21
22 An clean solution would be having the bindings as separate packages.
23 Of course, often the upstream is not ready for this yet, and it's
24 not in the scope of an distro like gentoo to such heavy changes.
25
26 But those splits really should be done (IMHO) to make things a lot
27 easier. So let's do it - do the split and try to convince the
28 upstream to get it in.
31 cu
32 --
34 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
36 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
37 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
38 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
39 http://patches.metux.de/
41 --
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list