From: David Morgan <david.morgan@××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GTK und GTK2 Use Flag
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 13:10:58
1 On 05:50 Tue 29 Mar , Brian Harring wrote:
2 > On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 12:35:38PM +0100, David Morgan wrote:
3 > > What if I want things to be built without gtk where ever possible, but I
4 > > want things that have to use either gtk1 or gtk2 to use gtk2?
5 > >
6 > > Under the current method this is what -gtk gtk2 should do,
7 > Actually, no. And that is why the gtk flags need changing. :)
8 > current setup.
9 > gtk ~= gtk support AND fall back to gtk v1 support.
10 > gtk2 ~= use gtk v2 support in preference to v1 if available.
11 >
12 > There is no way to state, "I want v2, and _only_ v2" without resorting
13 > to a package.mask'ing of gtk-1*.
14 >
15 > > since
16 > > something that has to use gtk won't have a gtk flag, but if there's a
17 > > choice between gtk1 and gtk2, it should have a gtk2 flag.
18 > >
19 > > I don't see how this would be possible under ferringb's scheme,
20 > my scheme- gtk == *any* version, the user doesn't care.
21 > gtk{1,2,3} == use that version.
22 >
23 > So... if you had USE="gtk2 and gtk3", ebuilds would use v3 if
24 > possible, otherwise v2. No gtk v1.
25 >
26 > If you had USE="gtk gtk2", you prefer gtk v2., but will use what is
27 > available (any version).
28 >
29 > > so I
30 > > prefer the current way (though if ferringb's way of doing it could be
31 > > modified to do this without getting too ugly I'd be just as happy with
32 > > that).
33 > The current scheme sucks for those who want a gtk v2 only system. How
34 > do you specify gtk v2 only under the current system using _just_ use
35 > flags? You don't. :)
36 > ~brian
37 > --
38 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
41 How do you specify gtk v2 only using use flags? You can't!
42
43 If something depends on gtk v1 regardless of use flags (by which I mean
44 there's no without any gtk or use v2 option), then if you want
45 to emerge it you have to have gtk v1. Unless you want to have some sort
46 of system where a package would be masked because of your use flags
47 (which would get annoying really quickly), but I don't think you are.
48
49 That being said, I agree that your way is better, assuming that -gtk
50 -gtk1 gtk2 means "disable optional gtk (any version) support, but if gtk
51 isn't optional but both versions are supported then use v2"
54 djm
57 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list