From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Fonts, Xfree, Linux
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 13:31:08
1 begin quote
2 On Fri, 30 May 2003 02:30:39 -0700
3 Seemant Kulleen <seemant@g.o> wrote:
6 > So the idea he and I discussed was to have this utility (or set of
7 > utilities) to update the fontpaths in /etc/X11/fs/config as well as
8 > /etc/X11/XF86Config (IF the font path is other than unix:/7100 in that
9 > file).
12 What will such a tool do about ordering of paths? There is a sticky
13 issue here when two paths provide the same fonts, something that is
14 completely legal. Now, anyone who has customized their X to some extent
15 knows this, and many are quite picky about the order. putting Speedo
16 after fixed, TTF before fixed, unscaled before scaled, Xdpi before
17 other dpi.
18
19 Theese settings are fairly custom, and to give an automatic tool a go at
20 this is annoying. (font-update, following modules-update and others.. )
21
22 Now, how would this be handled? Should a user have to specify the
23 ordering of such fonts in a separate file? (Yey, another config +
24 verifying the autogenerated tool?) or perhaps not install them at all?
25 (Not good either, Xnest, different X layout and other such things come
26 in and annoy here)
29 otherways I'm all for standardizing portage installed fonts (that aren't
30 X core) in /usr/share/fonts/<fonttype> , having a tool to run
31 fc-update and otheres. System local fonts ( my import of fonts
32 from adobe, and so on) should go to /usr/local/share/fonts/, as is
33 custom.
36 //Spider
39 begin .signature
40 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
42 end