From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: A few questions to our nominees
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 13:04:07
1 Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
2 > Those using paludis need just to run[1]:
3 > ~ paludis -pi1 compiz-fusion --dl-reinstall-scm always --compact \
4 > ~ --show-reasons none
5
6 and what about
7
8 # emerge @compiz [1]
9
10 Simpler isn't it?
11
12 Or
13
14 # emaint -r world[2]
15 # emerge -u compiz-fusion
16
17 [1] you you can do that right now.
18 [2] possible way to trigger regeneration, extended to sets if interesting.
21 > So, running a reinstall with a world update is not desirable and having
22 > to manually mask/unmask live ebuilds can also be a mess.
23
24 Agreed.
25
26 > Having a method that lets the user choose to reinstall all the live
27 > ebuilds every N days is an interesting option. Having a method that lets
28 > the user choose that the PM should check the scm tree and update the
29 > package if there's a new revision would be even better.
30
31 so something like
32
33 #emerge -uL compiz-fusion is what you'd like better.
34
35 > One option that might be interesting to avoid having the PM update *all*
36 > live deps, would be to have an option to run the update for packages
37 > inside a set. In this case, for example, I could just add all the compiz
38 > packages to a set and not worry about the PM updating also all the live
39 > kde packages.
40
41 right now you can add all the compiz packages to a set and just issue
42 and emerge @compiz and archive what you want ^^
43
44 > Another case where having a method to let PMs identify "live" ebuilds is
45 > important is for running QA scripts like repoman or pcheck.
46 > Instead of having pcheck complain about dropped keywords for version
47 > 9999, I would like to have pcheck complain about "live" ebuilds with
48 > keywords. Not all "live" trees are unstable and thus some might not like
49 > this change. However, if a PM is able to determine "live" ebuilds, it
50 > might be easier to have alternative tests that allow testing for dropped
51 > keywords or for the existence of keywords just for "live" ebuilds.
52
53 Agreed.
54
55 lu