From: Vano Dolukhanian <vano@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo as a Production Server
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 04:48:59
1 Hi all,
2
3 I am using Gentoo as a samba, mail and intranet web server at a site.
4 It is what usually is termed a "production server". Lately several
5 incidents have occured to me while upgrading (OpenSSH and a few other
6 stuff like Apache) using emerge -up system/world.
7
8 I always take a lot of care while upgrading to make sure no backward
9 compatibility issues arise because of the new software. But after being
10 locked out of ssh after updating OpenSSH (because the latest version
11 requires a /var/empty dir which the ebuild does NOT create and the
12 service will NOT restart) and after seeing named (bind) fail to start
13 after a restart of service (to check whether everything is ok) and
14 finding that it seems it is missing some files (remerging it fixed it,
15 but after a few hours where users were not being able to use the net nor
16 emails), I have come to distrust emerge -up completely regarding a
17 server environment. Most of these issues (there are more smaller ones)
18 have occured to me in the past week.
19
20 I am using Gentoo at home on several computers and this was my first
21 attempt at using it at a site and unfortunately I am doubting if I have
22 done a good decision.
23
24 I am sending this email to ask fellow admins what guidelines (if any)
25 do they adopt when using Gentoo on such an environment and to find out
26 what other people's suggestions are. Also are there any plans to make
27 Gentoo more solid and stable in a server enviornment? Having a
28 server/secure/stable profile for example?
29
30 All in all, I love Gentoo and am moving everything in my hands to this
31 distro, but I would love to regain my trust in emerge -up when dealing
32 with sensitive enviornments.
33
34 Regards,
35