From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 55
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 16:20:00
1 On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 19:54:33 +0530
2 "Arun Raghavan" <arunisgod@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > Well, most file systems have a local structure for this data (=> block
4 > group), so it's not going to be a seek that's very far. Secondly, how
5 > many ebuilds do you need to read directly to get this data in a
6 > typical case? Isn't this what the metadata cache is for?
7
8 It's a nice local structure when you're just using a) a nice, linear,
9 readahead-friendly-ish slurp of the ebuild directory and b) a nice,
10 linear slurp of files in the metadata cache, which is how things are
11 now. When you move that to having to make alternating use of the
12 metadata cache and the ebuild files, you're suddenly seeking backwards
13 and forwards between two places over and over.
14
15 > >> > - it heavily restricts future syntax and meaning of EAPIs
16 > >>
17 > >> Not by much. It's just a header.
18 > >
19 > > <!-- EAPI="3" -->
20 >
21 > Do we want to keep the spec so wide open that we support any format
22 > under the Sun that we fancy? Seems like overgeneralizing to me.
23
24 We want to keep it open enough that we're not going to have to go
25 through yet another backwards compatibility breaking change.
28 Ciaran McCreesh