From: Wernfried Haas <amne@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentooforum.de needs you!
Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 14:35:10
1 Hi,
2 On Sun, May 07, 2006 at 10:22:06PM +0800, Florian Kielenbeck wrote:
3 > My name is Florian Kielenbeck. I am a moderator at the german
4 > Gentoo-Forum http://www.gentooforum.de.
5
6 My name is Wernfried Haas, I am administrator of the official Forums
7 on https://forums.gentoo.org, which also includes a German section.
8
9 > For more than three years know we provided a platform for the german
10 > gentoo-community.
11
12 Who is we? I have followed the history of gentooforum.de, and as far i
13 know the original owner gave/sold the domain to someone else.
14
15 Furthermore the German community has lots of platforms on both
16 www.gentoo.de as well as within the gentoo.org domain, including the
17 German forums on http://forums.gentoo.org/viewforum.php?f=28.
18
19 In fact, i see only little use in splitting the community by having
20 yet another forum - i said that when gentooforum.de was announced
21 (without prior contact to the "official" German community) 3 years ago
22 and i still don't see the point.
23
24 > However, we are missing some Salt in our soup and so we would like
25 > to invite all german-speaking developers to our forum.
26
27 Dude, it's our lucky day if the developers show up on the official
28 forums, they usually hide on irc and mailing lists (apart from a few
29 brave warriors that frequent even the forums) :-)
30
31 > We have recognized, that the german community is probably one of the
32 > strongest in the world and we would like to help to keep that
33 > situation.
34
35 In what way does gentooforum.de contribute to the community apart from
36 giving them a forum that rather splits the community than support it?
37
38 > With some developers on board, we could provide 1st-class
39 > support for users
40
41 Read: "We need some developers to show off and get more people on our
42 forums pages because more people click more ads.
43
44 > and organize community-events like meetings or fairs.
45
46 That's nothing specific to gentooforum.de and has even been done
47 outside your forum, if you care about the community join us instead of
48 trying to get people over to your place.
49
50 > We are looking forward to see *you* on www.gentooforum.de, helping
51 > to keep the german community chained together!
52
53 How does it help chain the community together? In fact, all i see are
54 topics being duplicated on both f.g.o and gentooforum.de or even
55 crossposted.
56
57 All i see from gentooforum.de are questionable attempts to build up
58 _their_ community without even thinking about the community as a
59 whole.
60
61 Sorry for the strong words, but imho gentooforum.de always did more
62 damage than help anyone.
63
64 cheers,
65 Wernfried
68 Wernfried Haas (amne) - amne at gentoo dot org
69 Gentoo Forums: http://forums.gentoo.org
70 IRC: #gentoo-forums on freenode - email: forum-mods at gentoo dot org