From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Odd git format-patch behavior
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 00:03:25
1 I figure this is half-on-topic for this list since I'm trying to
2 prepare patch sets for a package. I'm getting fairly bizarre behavior
3 from git format-patch - patches that don't apply, and patches numbered
4 early in sequence that didn't show up previously in this branch. I
5 suspect rebasing might be the cause of that change, but I don't think
6 it fully explains this behavior.
7
8 To demonstrate, run:
9 git clone https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv.git -b fixes/0.26
10 cd mythtv/
11 git format-patch v0.26.0
12 mv *.patch ..
13 git checkout v0.26.0
14 patch -p0 < ../0001-*
15
16 Final output is:
17 can't find file to patch at input line 17
18 (messing with -p doesn't help, which will be obvious from a quick
19 inspection of the file vs the tree)
20
21 How can git format-patch against a tag generate a patch that won't
22 apply against that tag?
23
24 If you look at the git log of that branch you'll find that the first
25 patch is from a commit that is more distant in the past than the tag.
26
27 Am I relying on undefined behavior? This has generated useful patches
28 for me in the past...
29
30 Rich