From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: williamh@g.o, systemd@g.o, ssuominen@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: patch systemd.eclass to use pkg-config if available
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 22:47:32
1 On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 17:28:08 -0500
2 William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 05:37:12PM -0400, Mike Gilbert wrote:
5 > > On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 5:18 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
6 > > > All,
7 > > >
8 > > > systemd, like udev, stores directory paths in a way that they can be
9 > > > queried from pkg-config. However, the systemd.eclass currently does not
10 > > > use this ability.
11 > > >
12 > > > The following patch models the systemd eclass after the udev eclass and
13 > > > leaves the current defaults in place if there is an issue with
14 > > > pkg-config.
15 > > >
16 > > > Any thoughts?
17 > > >
18 > > > William
19 > > >
20 > >
21 > > What problem are you trying to solve here?
22 > >
23 > > We already know the values that pkg-config will return, so I fail to
24 > > see the advantage of calling pkg-config in the eclass.
25 > >
26 > > If we were to move the /usr/lib/systemd directory between two versions
27 > > of systemd, then yes, using pkg-config would be helpful. Until/unless
28 > > such a change occurs, I just don't see the point.
29 >
30 > The reason for this is a topic that Samuli and I want to discuss with
31 > the systemd team, probably on irc, but, basically, since gentoo does not
32 > have the /usr merge, we think parts of systemd which are in /usr
33 > should go in /, and this goes along with systemd upstream's recommendations
34 > as well (look at how the autogen.sh script in the systemd git repo works
35 > to see what I'm talking about).
36 >
37 > This would also allow udev and systemd to share the /lib/systemd
38 > directory, and we could install compatibility symlinks where necessary
39 > to not break users' systems.
40
41 No. And I don't have the time to repeat that discussion again. Just no.
44 Best regards,
45 Michał Górny