From: David Seifert <soap@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] <non-maintainer-commits-welcome/> proposal
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2022 15:27:12
1 On Mon, 2022-07-04 at 16:19 +0200, Florian Schmaus wrote:
2 > I'd like to propose a new metadata XML element for packages:
3 >
4 >      <non-maintainer-commits-welcome/>
5 >
6 > Maintainers can signal to other developers (and of course contributors
7 > in general) that they are happy with others to make changes to the
8 > ebuilds without prior consultation of the maintainer.
9 >
10 > Of course, this is not a free ticket to always make changes to
11 > packages
12 > that you do not maintain without prior consultation of the maintainer.
13 > I
14 > would expect people to use their common sense to decide if a change
15 > may
16 > require maintainer attention or not. In general, it is always a good
17 > idea to communicate changes in every case.
18 >
19 > The absence of the flag does not automatically allow the conclusion
20 > that
21 > the maintainer is opposed to non-maintainer commits. It just means
22 > that
23 > the maintainer's stance is not known. I do not believe that we need a
24 > <non-maintainer-commits-disallowed/> flag, but if the need arises, we
25 > could always consider adding one. Although, in my experience, people
26 > mostly like to communicate the "non-maintainer commits welcome" policy
27 > with others.
28 >
29 > WDYT?
30 >
31 > - Flow
34 Ultimately, all these things really matter when only the defaults
35 change. Turn-right-on-red in the US is such a thing, because unless
36 otherwise stated, it's the norm. Knowing our devbase, with roughly 75%
37 mostly AWOL and barely reading the MLs, I don't think this idea will
38 bring about the desired change. Instead, we should really just go for
39 the <non-maintainer-commits-disallowed/> tag, because my feeling is that
40 the default will be that most maintainers don't mind non-maintainer
41 commits, except a select few territorial ones.
42
43 David