From: Alexandre Rostovtsev <tetromino@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: only the loopback interface should provide net
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2012 08:29:29
1 On Tue, 2012-02-07 at 00:43 -0600, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > My understanding of networking is that you can't have two interfaces
3 > with ip addresses in the same subnet on the same computer. Correct?
4 >
5 > If that is the case, more than likely, the service you want to connect
6 > to will be on one subnet or the other, but not both.
7
8 Forget per-interface subnets, that's category 3 material. Category 1 is
9 about connections that should be available from any suitably configured
10 interface.
11
12 If I want to connect to pool.ntp.org to sync the system clock, or to my
13 company's vpn gateway for telecommuting, or to tor to encrypt my
14 traffic, or to a dynamic dns provider to update my machine's record,
15 I do not care in the least which interface I use. It could be either of
16 my machine's ethernet ports, could be the wireless adaptor, could be the
17 built-in wimax card. Could even be something dynamically configured - a
18 mobile phone tethered over a usb cable, for example. All I care about is
19 that at least one of my interfaces is providing some sort of working
20 network connection.
21
22 And that's exactly what "provide net" should imply.
23
24 -Alexandre.