From: Andrey Utkin <andrey_utkin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: libressl@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Discontinuing LibreSSL support?
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2020 11:36:32
1 I agree with the proposal to sunset LibreSSL.
2 Supporting it benefits very few users due to how non-universal the support of
3 this option is. I see it as entirely sensible choice on apps' upstreams part to
4 not collaborate on libressl support, motivation being focusing on more typical
5 user setups.
6
7 But I have one loosely related question. About USE=bindist of openssl & openssh.
8
9 My impression is that when you spin up a new Gentoo setup from stage3, very
10 early on you are typically forced by situations to switch off USE=bindist for
11 openssl and openssh. I conclude that one can't redistribute more elaborate
12 system images and binpkgs because of this.
13
14 However there's no `bindist` flag and therefore no such situation with libressl
15 package. I never did good research of why this is so, so I am still wondering:
16 what does that mean in practice?
17
18 Does this mean libressl has some advantage for binary redistributability of
19 elaborate system images and binary packages?