From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: ufed / USE-Flags Grouping Suggestion
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 21:33:05
1 On 05/26/04 Jason Rhinelander wrote:
2
3 > Ignoring ufed for the moment, this brings up an interesting idea - is
4 > there any reason portage couldn't dynamically manage the
5 > /etc/portage/package.use file, so that:
6 >
7 > USE="foo -bar" emerge somepackage
8 >
9 > would add
10 >
11 > cat-name/somepackage foo -bar
12 >
13 > to package.use? That means a user could update packages and have them
14 >
15 > installed the same way (unless, of course, I decided to specify a
16 > differense USE= or changed package.mask).
17 >
18 > Thoughts?
19
20 It's technically possible, but portage doesn't touch any files in /etc
21 directly, only ld.so.{conf,cache} and profile.env through env-update,
22 and I don't want to change that policy.
23
24 Marius
29 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
30 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.