From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Kernel calls gcc directly: fine?
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 14:34:01
1 On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 16:19:59 +0200
2 Agostino Sarubbo <ago@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > If you try to launch make V=1 from the kernel source directory you
5 > will see:
6
7 > snip <
8
9 > So it calls gcc directly.
10
11 Yes. That is called a default.
12
13 Set CC on the make command line or set CONFIG_CROSS_COMPILE through
14 make *config if you don't like the default.
15
16 > I see we don't like gcc called directly from the tracker[1], but this
17 > is for packages/ebuild. Should this bug block that tracker or it is
18 > invalid?
19
20 What bug (report)?
21
22 The kernel build system cannot guess what compiler you want to use, so
23 it defaults to CC=gcc. It's a feature.
26 jer