From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Peer-to-Peer?
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 13:51:36
1 On Thursday 18 July 2002 16:44, Yannick Koehler wrote:
2 > On July 18, 2002 09:39 am, Michael Cummings wrote:
3 > Well the idea was the following, If I build a package for my computer and
4 > could make other benefit from the fact that I've done so and someone maybe
5 > doing the exact same thing, so instead of having it re-compile the same
6 > things in the same way he could just pick up mine. If you do not have
7 > common system then you don't benefit from it but you don't lose anything.
8 > It is an addition not a removal.
9 >
10 > That's why I was putting talk about a peer-to-peer system. It would be
11 > nice that in some way, if want to emerge a build that has been emerged
12 > already on another system using the same configuration then you could at
13 > your choice decide not to re-do it but take the one that has been done.
14 >
15 > It does imply trust, security issues and all of this, but that is also true
16 > whenever you compile source code that you didn't investigate yourself
17 > anyway even thought there's a digest file, that file may have been created
18 > or modified on the mirror to make you download malicious source code.
19
20 Appart from the trust issue, the major problem is comparing the two systems.
21 It is unlikely they are exactly the same. But even if they are, it is a hell
22 of a job finding out. The only way such a distribution for binaries works is
23 with a binary only distribution like,..... (you know who).
24
25 Paul
28 Paul de Vrieze
29 Junior Researcher