From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Guidelines for IUSE defaults
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2017 06:13:15
1 On Thu, Feb 02, 2017 at 01:01:52PM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote
2
3 > Is there a better way we can have our cake and eat it too? I'll admit
4 > that a huge package.use on the minimal profile isn't a whole lot
5 > better than a huge package.use on all the other profiles.
6 >
7 > Do we need another form of syntax in individual ebuilds to try to
8 > separate out the various cases you cite? Does anybody care to
9 > actually suggest one?
10 >
11 > I still think that we shouldn't encourage users to lightly deviate
12 > from all the upstream defaults. There are of course legitimate
13 > reasons for doing so, and you and I can probably appreciate when we
14 > should do this, but for somebody starting out we're giving them a lot
15 > of rope to hang themselves with.
16
17 The "case" for IUSE often depends on a fallacious strawman argument
18 about USE="-*". The strawman argument is that people run with the USE
19 variable in make.conf consisting of "USE=-*" and that every package
20 requires an entry in package.use WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! That is a braindead
21 approach. The way I recommend doing it is...
22
23 USE="-* fu bar blah blah blah"
24
25 ...where commonly-used flags are included in USE. My rule-of-thumb is
26
27 Given that
28 * not including a flag in USE requires X entries adding it in package.use
29 * including a flag in USE requires Y entries negating it in package.use
30
31 If ( X > Y ) then
32 include the the flag in USE
33 else
34 do not include the the flag in USE
35 end if
36
37 I effectively "build my own profile" rather than depend on multiple
38 levels of inheritance. My current desktop runs with the following USE
39 flags...
40
41 USE="X apng bindist ffmpeg jpeg opengl png szip truetype x264 x265 xorg threads webp -acl -berkdb -caps -cracklib -crypt -filecaps -gallium -gdbm -graphite -gstreamer -iconv -introspection -ipc -iptables -ipv6 -libav -llvm -manpager -nls -openmp -pam -pch -sendmail -tcpd -udev -unicode -xinerama"
42
43 Note all the negative flags. I'll try installing uclibc to a laptop
44 one of these days. I figure that it'll probably have a shorter USE line
45 if I start USE with "-*", and I will not have a larger package.use file.
48 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
49 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications