From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: Accessibility on our release media
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 20:58:52
1 William Hubbs wrote:
2 > All,
3 >
4 > I need some opinions about accessibility on our release media.
5 >
6 > I am requesting that we add the following to all of our release media
7 > for amd64 and x86:
8 >
9 > app-accessibility/espeak (with portaudio in use so it supports alsa)
10 > app-accessibility/espeakup
11 > app-accessibility/speakup
12 > [alsa support]
13 >
14 > This is needed so that a blind person can independently install gentoo
15 > linux using either hardware or software speech.
16 >
17 > Agaffney is stating that he doesn't want to add this support to the
18 > minimal cd because it will increase the size of the cd and it is not
19 > required to do an install. He is willing to put it on the live cd. I
20 > think it should go there as well as go on the minimal. I'm not
21 > comfortable, however, with it just going on the live cd since the live
22 > cds are not built near as often as the minimal cds.
23 >
24 > I understand his point about keeping the minimal cd small, but I
25 > disagree about the software not being required to do an install. If a
26 > blind person wants to install gentoo from a minimal cd, the software is
27 > a requirement, not an extra feature that would be nice to have.
28 >
29 > My question for the group is, how do you feel about speech software
30 > being on our minimal cd as well as our live cd?
31 >
32 > Thanks,
35 Could you/someone provide numbers on how much of an increase in size we
36 are talking about?
37
38 Regards,
39 Petteri